Habits of grace Enjoying Jesus through the Spiritual Disciples
Concepts Book Review
Hear His Voice
1. Preach the Gospel to self. For Example:
1. We are all sinners, and our sin needs payment
2. God himself through Christ payed for our sins by his death on the cross, and therefore is now exalted at the right hand of the Father in heaven.
3. If we accept Jesus and proclaim him as Lord, he will intercede for us at the right hand of the Father and will be the payment for our sin. This gives us eternal life in heaven with Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit.
4. By rejecting Jesus, we pay the sin for ourselves in eternity.
2. Read the bible
* Meditate over the gems of God’s word
* As meditation is the best prep for prayer, so prayer is the best issue of meditation.
* Scripture is personal, it talks to you!
3. Memorize Scripture
While memorization is not the goal, understanding is. It gives us a mind closer to the mind of Christ.
4. The center of lifelong learning for the Christian is this: knowing and enjoying God himself in Christ through the Gospel word and written word of the scripture – in hearing, reading, and memorizing the bible.
Have his Ear: Prayer
1. Prayer is not about getting things from God… but from getting God
He is more ready to hear us than we are to pray. Prayer is both scheduled and spontaneous.
2. Closet prayer
a) Pray in private
b) begin with scripture
c) adore, confess, thank, and ask OR ACTS: Ask, confess, thanksgiving, supplication
d) Divulge desires
e) Added power to prayer when agreed upon. When multiple people agree on the same prayer, it adds more power to the prayer.
a) w/ others
b) non-food fasts
4. Journaling – not essential because Jesus didn’t even do it 😉
Improve writing Skills
Practice the habits of grace
a) self examination
b) meditate on verses and puzzle with scriptures
c) dream about new endeavors
Keep it simple and private.
5. Solitude – take time away from people in order to be closer to God
b) pray to God for insight before going alone
d) Don’t force it.. relax
Allows building each other up, you can confess your sins to each other, be in prayer, keeping each other in faith, good listening is an act of love and asks good questions. Good listening helps hearing from God.
We were made to worship Jesus together. Corporate worship is the single most important means of grace and our greatest weapon in the fight for joy because it combines his word, prayer, worship, and fellowship. An example would be bible study or community group. Worship is the end of itself, happiness in god.
True christian preaching magnifies Christ, not the hearer or speaker. Good preaching allows the bridge (Church) to encounter the groom (Christ) through the preaching of his word.
Preaching reveals Christ to us.
5 Graces of Preaching
1. Forget ourselves
2. To fill our faith our souls are strengthened by the preached Gospel
3. Further Sanctification – grow in grace
4. To build up Christs body. Good preaching is faithful to the word.
5. To Encounter Jesus.
The Lords Supper either brings blessing (us Closer to Christ) or judgment (farther from Christ) for those in sin or unbelievers
1. It proclaims Jesus death
2. Spiritual union with Christ
The blessings of Rebuke
* Calling others to correction is a great act of love
* Whoever hates reproof will die
* Whoever heeds reproof is honored
The Lord reproves him whom he loves
Before rebuking someone, pray for them, and be kind in the rebuke. If you have the same sin as them, focus on yourself first. Follow up rebuke later if needed. James 5:19-20.
The CODA Commission
When our life in Jesus is healthy, we not only ache for him but we want to spread the gospel to others.
a) Sharing the gospel with the un-churched may reliven the Christian spirit.
b) Helps us be honest in our sin, we die to selfishness
C) Lean heavier on Jesus
d) We don’t center on ourselves but on Jesus
Generosity is a means of grace. 2 Corinthains 9. We can’t out-give god.
Time > money